During my first semester of my senior year in high school my boyfriend, and closest confidant, was killed in a tragic car accident. It was one of the most impacting events of my youth. It tested my faith, trust, and testimony of the atonement.
It also took a toll on my studies. Up until that point I had been nearly a 4.0 student, with more than half being AP classes. With the intense emotional fog I was in, I became behind in many of my classes. My AP English class, which I had eagerly enrolled in, was borderline of a failing grade.
Against my "finisher" personality, I transferred out of AP English. I remember feeling like a quitter. It was very depressing. Little did I know, it would be a pivotal decision which would affect me for the eternities.
You see, because I dropped out of AP English I had to take Freshman English in college. Freshman English was where I met Lindsay. Lindsay had the idea to set me up with her brother. As you can guess . . .
Today we mark 12 years of marriage.
There have been times we both have felt like we were failing, and even times of wanting to quit, but we make the decision to keep going, to keep learning, and to keep loving. Though Elder Holland used this for another context, I believe his phrase "no one fails who keeps trying and keeps praying" applies to marriage as well.

1 comment:
ok this sounds so much better than your post on instagram. Not gunna lie I even had to ask Jesse how it sounded...it kinda came off like your marriage is a failure. I didn't think you would write a negative anniversary post but I for sure didn't understand how the failures part was a positive thing in your marriage. Glad this is some clarification haha.
Post a Comment